[Beowulf] Restricting users from ssh into nodes

Daniel Kidger daniel.kidger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 06:25:31 PDT 2013

Just 3 more things to think about re where ssh should be enabled or
disabled.

1. Many people's job scripts use ssh either directly (to say clean up /tmp)
or indirectly from mpirun. (good mpirun's use the batch engine's per-node
daemon to launch the binaries not ssh). Hence simple disabling of ssh will
break many batch scripts.

2. Some 'batch jobs' are actually interactive sessions - eg salloc in SLURM
for interactive debugging sessions.

3. If a user has a a set of say 32 nodes allocated to them and in use for
one of their batch jobs, it is reasonable to allow them interactive access
to those compute nodes - eg for profiling, debugging or computational
steering.

Daniel

Daniel Kidger
Bull Information Systems, UK