[Beowulf] nVidia Kepler GK110 GPU is incompatible w/Intel x86 hardware in PCI-E 3.0 mode ?

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 22 08:17:10 PDT 2013

On 04/18/2013 03:19 PM, Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:
> I've cluster node (w/Linux, of course) based on Supermicro X9SCA
> system board and Xeon E3-1230v2 having LGA1155 socket. Now I want to
> buy GPU nVidia Kepler GK110 w/PCI-E 3.0 (CK20 Compute Board from PNY
> ?) and install it into my node.  Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 and Supermicro
> X9SCA both support PCI-E 3.0.
>
> But I've heard that GK110 (available today on the market) can't works
> in PCI-E v.3.0 mode w/Intel Equipment (only in PCI-E 2.0 mode). But
> GK104 etc, good for SP only, works w/PCI-E 3.0 normally. Moreover, for
> successfull work of GK110 w/Intel Xeon Platform I need:
> a) to buy next version of Xeon processor which will have new socket
> (when it'll arrive to the market?)
> and new PCI-E 3.0 support plus new system board for this processor
> (i.e. I need to modernize node hardware)
> and b) to buy new GK110 version, which will have improved PCI-E 3.0
> interface block (again, when it'll on the market?).
>
> The reason, as I heard, is different realization of PCI-E 3.0
> standard  by nVidia and Intel in the corresponding currently available
> hardware. This is result of poor detalizations of PCI-E 3.0 standard,
> which should be defined more exactly.
>
> Can somebody clarify this situation ?

Mikhail,

I've heard anecdotes that this is true - the initial implementations of
PCI-E are buggy and that there's a lot of incompatibility between PCIE 3
motherboards and devices, including Intel motherboards not working with
Intel Xeon Phi processors. This is anectdotal, so please don't consider
this to be 100% confirmed. I do know at least one other person on this
list who is the source of my information, and could shed more light on
this topic (Bill W., I'm looking at you!). Let's see if he chimes in.

Prentice