[Beowulf] Definition of HPC

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 17 17:44:20 PDT 2013

I think this gets back to the scalability and partitionability.

If you could run your experiment on a small cheap cluster *that isn't shared*, nobody would care whether you have root, any more than whether you have root on your desktop computer.

The problem is when the problem is
a) large enough to require a big expensive cluster -and-
b) infrequent enough that you can't justify buying that cluster just for you

And now you're into "how do you share, when you want bare metal access"

One approach is to have an air-gapped isolated cluster.  You come in, you do whatever, and when you're done it's wiped clean.  That has substantial setup and teardown costs.

On the other hand, if you want simultaneous sharing (user A gets 500 nodes, user B gets 500 nodes), I think that's fundamentally incompatible with bare metal/root access.

IT shops are used to the "how do we simultaneously share a big expensive box among many users".. the processes and politics have been worked out over the last 50 years, along with gory details of chargebacks, dynamic pricing, etc.  And, it tends to be pretty regimented.. many users, especially in a "computing" environment, implies many diverse needs, so that big piece of iron will have lots of interfaces, lots of configurable whatsits, etc.   That makes it complex to administer, because when you reconfigure after user A leaves, but before user C starts up, and without interrupting user B, that is a challenging problem.

The default answer is always going to be "no".  Saying "No" makes one person unhappy, but keeps the other N-1 people happy.

I think ultimately, that "doing dangerous things requires dedicated facilities, and so it's expensive".   Rocket engine or Energetic Compound development is expensive partly because you need a place to test them, not because the engineering is any more difficult than other engineering. (look up C2N14..
"An Energetic and Highly Sensitive Binary Azidotetrazole"..  a blog quote: " Never forget, the biggest accomplishment in such work is not blowing out the lab windows.")

Jim Lux