[Beowulf] Electricity cost: a critical survival issue of our ICT infrastructures.

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 8 16:18:04 PDT 2013

Oil supply is decreasing (Hubbert and all), but I don't think Gas supply is decreasing. Rather, gas supply is increasing both in terms of "reserves" and "production", quite rapidly. It's not necessarily a good thing for other reasons, but betting the farm on running out of hydrocarbon energy anytime soon is probably not a good bet.   I would predict that restrictions on consumption will be a bigger factor than scarcity of supply.  Once you take the capital cost hit to change over from coal/oil to natural gas, the operating costs go way down, both for the feedstock, but also for other things like remediation, emissions controls, maintenance, etc.  It is a LOT cheaper to run a power plant on natural gas than almost anything else: no ash, no corrosive acid exhaust, etc.
The real issue with NG is storage and transportation. Unlike coal or oil, it's hard to store a year's supply by just piling it up or filling tanks, which means that he who has the gas has a lot of leverage over he who consumes the gas.

Jim Lux