[Beowulf] Southampton's RPi cluster is cool but too many cables?

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Tue Sep 25 08:17:32 PDT 2012

On 09/25/2012 10:02 AM, Mark Hahn wrote:
>> Talking about Raspberry Pi, I saw this mentioned on a Pi forum:
>>
>> http://www.gizmag.com/minion-disposable-dna-sequencer/21513/
> talk about non-sequitur!
>
>> Woudl anyone want to comment? What impact wlll a $900 sequencer have?
> I'm not sure price or accessibility is what holds back DNA today.
> you'll still have to do some glassware/reagent stuff to feed that
> micropore device.  and having a sequence doesn't do you that much
> good (you can't just diff against some canonical sequence and print
> off a mutation report...)  further, understanding what particular
> sequences _do_ is still very time/labor consuming.
>
> as an HPC thing, I suppose cheaper/more widespread sequencing will
> increase storage needs, though to be honest, sequences themselves are
> not particularly large (say .5G raw data from the device lifespan.)

Where did you get that data-point from? I've been told a single genome
sequence takes up about 6 GB of data, and I think that's after it's been
processed.

According to this article,  raw sequence can take up between 2-30 TB,
and a processed one 1.5 GB. (Disclaimer: I only read the executive summary)

http://www.genetic-future.com/2008/06/how-much-data-is-human-genome-it.html