[Beowulf] General cluster management tools - Re: Southampton engineers a Raspberry Pi Supercomputer

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Mon Sep 24 05:31:56 PDT 2012

Andrew Holway <andrew.holway at gmail.com> writes:

> Your saying that open source software is somehow less risky than
> proprietary software. I dont see any evidence for this.

But it is!

Through the years, I have been screwed n times by commercial vendors
saying "No, we will not sell you our proprietary solution anymore. We
are discontinuing it. We don't want your money". And I have been stuck.

I have never experienced the same with open source. In the OSS world, it
is more likely than not that somebody else will take over the project.
And even if that doesn't happen, you can alway pay somebody to do the
support you need.

Indeed. Look what happened to Gridengine.

http://gridengine.org/blog/

Now you can get a commercial supported version from Univa.
If Gridengine were closed source, it would have withered and died.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.