[Beowulf] Checkpointing using flash

Alan Louis Scheinine alscheinine at tuffmail.us
Sat Sep 22 18:12:14 PDT 2012

Jim Lux wrote that one giant [distributed] memory has scalability
problems from physical distance reasons.  Yes indeed.  Simply to clarify,
I was refering to a specific niche in parameter space (physical and
programmatic) associated with programs using file I/O.  That is to say,
there is a realm for which the idea of Andrew Holway is appropriate.

With regard to the comment by Jim Lux, "Once you've got a generalized
fast approach using message passing, it's very scalable."  In some
cases, asynchronous messages and/or one-sided communication allows
processes to be avoid forced synchronization when not required.  Also,
in some cases PGAS languages have proven to be more scalable than MPI.
It is an interesting area of practical investigation.

Regards,
Alan Scheinine

--

  Alan Scheinine