[Beowulf] General cluster management tools - Re: Southampton engineers a Raspberry Pi Supercomputer

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 16:01:55 PDT 2012

> Or, he could *PAY* someone to develop it for him.  Last I saw, you can
> download the source code to OI, and go to town.  There is a full build
> environment, and the stack is self hosting.

Are you making the case that I or my company could get into the
operating system development game?

> So ... the point of that straw man is ... what ... again?

That utilizing open source can bite you in the arse just as hard as
any closed source software. Our original argument was about risk I
believe. I attacked the fallacy in your Thesis:

"A company with open products (real open products), open software
stacks,... that lowers risks.  With the closed, vendor lock-in stacks,
you increase risk."

In reference to your straw man comment: If you could tell me
specifically how I misrepresented your position I would love to
improve my debating skills.