[Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Wed Sep 5 09:44:57 PDT 2012

I'm surprised more isn't done with seaside DCs in California. The
Pacific along the CA coast is 30-40F at depths shallow as 60 feet. A
near limitless supply of cooling, at least until the poles melt. Why
there aren't DC's looping sea water for cheap cooling (its good enough
for nuke reactors) escapes me.

I believe there are.
The Swiss Centre for SuperComputing uses the deep waters of Lake Lugano:

http://www.cscs.ch/newsroom/cscs/2011/lake_water_to_cool_supercomputers/index.html

http://www.cscs.ch/newsroom/cscs/2012/movetolugano/index.html

I know I'd rather work there than Iceland!

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.