[Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Wed Sep 5 08:26:52 PDT 2012

>> A major advantage of these forthcoming ARM server systems is that
>> they are air-coolable, and in fact even convection-aircoolable,
>> if you add a suitable funnel on top of the rack.
>>
>> With SSDs, there are no movable parts. Float power will suck,
>> but there are GPGPU options there, and memory bandwidth can
>> be quite nice with memory cube like die stacking.
>

> It would be lovely to have an article on clustermonkey for such a cluster.
> At the very least it would make excellent teaching material [and for
> poor-to-broken universities (and countries)] it would even make a putative
> mini-research-cluster solution. Apologies for not offering to do it
> myself, I wouldn't know where to start from ...

This may happen, however, a few sites you may want to look at first:

1. Little Fe (http://littlefe.net/home) 6 node dual core atom cluster.

2. Limulus Project (http://limulus.basement-supercomputing.com/) a 4 node
with quad-core using Sand/Ivy Bridge processors (over 200 CPU-GFLOPS) in a
single tower case. (disclosure: Limulus is my project). The software
installs on top of Scientific Linux BTW.

ARM may get real interesting as Project Denver (NVidia) develops.
Of course, the AMD Trinity is a "similar" idea, i.e. SIMD/GPU co-processor
on the CPU die.

--
Doug (Cluster Monkey guy)

--