[Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 5 06:25:04 PDT 2012

On 09/05/2012 12:38 AM, Joe Landman wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 12:28 AM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
>
>> But as long as we're talking quarrys and such, what about the scheme of
>> building a big pit to fill full of ice during the winter, and melting it
>> during the summer. (assuming you are in a
>> less-than-wonderful-un-California-like climate where this would work.)
> I bet a good business case could be made for something like this.  The
> west coast of Michigan is rich in having good wind availability and an
> excellent (and visible from space) reservoir of very cold water that
> could be used in heat exchangers to cool data centers.  Use the cool air
> during the cooler months, and the cold water during the warmer months.
>
> Given the proximity to Chicago, I'd think it would make for a good
> business to house LOTS of servers in a naturally well air conditioned
> environment.    I can't imagine that the AC bill in Secaucus and
> elsewhere in New Jersey is very pleasant.  Could ring the Great Lakes
> with these.
>
> A shame I don't have the capital to do this.  Bet we could sell out the
> space.  Without using oil, hydrogen/helium, or LN2.
I don't think that would be a wise investment, since Iceland is poised
to become the colocation capital, due to it's cold temperatures and
cheap, environmentally friendly geothermal energy. They're also looking
to increase the network bandwidth between Iceland and Europe and North
America. I brought this up on this list a couple of months ago:

http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/2012-April/029613.html

--
Prentice