[Beowulf] FPS memories RE: K Computer built for speed, not use

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 10 08:24:38 PDT 2012

I went and looked up my old friend the APS-120B..
Wow.. we've come a long way since the late 70s..
2 FP ops per cycle on a 6MHz clock.. 12 MFLOPS!
Of course, it was pipelined, so you could set your problem up to really keep the thing going. (at least for FFTs)  I remember canned lookup table for SIN and COS  without needing an instruction. I can't remember if it did stride or bit reversed addressing.  As I recall the architecture was much like the later monolithic Analog Devices ADSP21020...

Jim Lux