[Beowulf] hadoop

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Tue Nov 27 08:09:28 PST 2012

On 11/27/2012 09:54 AM, Douglas Eadline wrote:

>> not as efficient as gluster I would venture.
>
> OrangeFS (PVFS2) has been shown to work as good as or better than
> HDFS

I'm not going to take a side on this one since they are in many respects
solving different problems in different domains, but to add something to
an otherwise broad statement some of the collaborators I work with at
CMU and used to work with at ANL put out a decent publication on this
topic back in 2011.  A worthwhile read for anybody who is interested in
comparing the two purpose-built file-systems.

"On the Duality of Data-intensive File System Design:
Reconciling HDFS and PVFS"

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=on%20the%20duality%20of%20&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cs.cmu.edu%2F~svp%2F2011sc-hdfspvfs.pdf&ei=w-S0UODkIs2K0QHS5IHAAg&usg=AFQjCNEwL6VvxsHi1IamF_9yVRSFn3PRTw&cad=rja

Best,

ellis