[Beowulf] More AMD rumors

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Mon Nov 19 10:06:06 PST 2012

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>
>> If you measure memory latency at all 8 cores at the same time, it's
>> even more horrible.
>
> Thanks for a remarkably clear and useful reply, Vincent.  This nearly
> precisely mirrors my own measurements with a more floating point
> intensive task.  The larger i7-3770 cache and its 8 operational contexts
> (it is a four core system but it maintains two completely independent
> contexts per core, IIRC) seem to give it an overwhelming advantage over
> the FX with its eight "real" cores but much smaller cache.  Interesting
> to see that this continues with the (I assume) integer/logic intensive
> chess code.

This may be of interest:

http://www.clustermonkey.net/Benchmarking-Methods/benchmarking-a-multi-core-processor-for-hpc.html

> Basically, the i7 looks like a butt-kicking good processor, with the one
> problem being that it doesn't look like a multiprocessing cpu (at least
> I can't find a dual i7 motherboard, although in principle it appears to
> be possible, leaving one with Xeons that don't LOOK like they would
> perform as well although I'd be interested in information on that as
> well.
>
> At the moment, single processor i7's look like they might actually be
> the world's fastest, at least on a per core basis.  OTOH, it might well
> be that putting two of them on a single board would horribly saturate
> the memory bus and cause memory management collisions and worse and cost
> them their advantage.
>
> I'm getting ready to do some very data intensive stuff -- terabyte-scale
> datasets being chewed to pieces basically -- to the point where my
> "cluster" will probably be a pile of RAIDs each with its own private
> copy of the datasets in questions and equipped with an i7 motherboard,
> which seems odd somehow (as the i7 motherboards aren't generally
> configured as "server" motherboards) but the Xeons all run at lower
> clock and are older technology.

Intel has a single socket Xeon (E3-12XX series Sandy/Ivy-Bridge)
and will work on single socket motherboards. Mostly designed for
the small office/home server these have more "server" features,
basically ECC, and cost slightly more than the i-5/7 series. They
are lower power as well.

--
Doug

--