[Beowulf] PXE boot with X7DWT-INF IB onboard card

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Mon Nov 12 06:52:48 PST 2012

>  * if PXE server with Infiniband is impossible, then it is OK with a
> gigabyte connection? Or should we go for 16 disks for these 16 clients

booting is rare and almost trivial, IO-wise.  there's no reason you
shouldn't be able to boot several hundred clients over Gb.

True.

I never implemented it, but when I was with Streamline a colleague and I cooked up an idea
to image large hard drive based clusters using  dd  and netcat  - you can dd the image of a hard drive,
and use netcat to send that over the network to a fresh node. There is a multicast option in netcat - ie
you can send out a stream and have multiple listeners.
As I said we never implemented it - not really needed.

Also as an aside SGI ICE clusters use Bittorrent to ship images around (or at least did when they used Tempo).

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.