[Beowulf] how cluster's storage can be flexible/expandable?

Duke Nguyen duke.lists at gmx.com
Mon Nov 12 19:32:57 PST 2012

On 11/13/12 6:11 AM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> hi Duke,
>
> Where do you need a parallel file system for if you have 1 fileserver
> in total?

Vincent, our purpose is to build a cluster and data center which are
flexible and expandable. Based on my own experience on genome research,
we will soon need more storage (and nodes for clusters), so our current
numbers (of nodes, servers etc...) do not count. This first build is
mainly for learning and planning.

D.

> On Nov 12, 2012, at 12:26 PM, Duke Nguyen wrote:

>>> XFS is not a parallel filesystem like GPFS, but a lot of us use it
>>> because it's so easy to grow the filesystem.  I frequently do this
>>> with virtual machines to expand their storage.
>>>
>>> 1)  Add new virtual disk
>>> 2)  Scan SCSI buses in Linux
>>> 3)  pvcreate the new device
>>> 4)  vgextend