[Beowulf] Maker2 genomic software license experience?

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Nov 8 02:35:21 PST 2012

On 8 Nov 2012, at 10:10, Andrew Holway <andrew.holway at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's all a bit academic now (ahem) as the MPI component is a Perl
> program, and Perl isn't supported on BlueGene/Q. :-(
>
> huh? perl mpi?
>
> Interpreted language? High performance message passing interface?
>
> confused.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bioinformatics and genomics "high performance" computing.  Didn't  you know that perl, python, ruby and java are all much faster than C and FORTRAN?  Apparently it's a well-known fact, and what would I, a mere system administrator, know otherwise?

Sarcasm mode off now.

Tim