[Beowulf] Digital Image Processing via HPC/Cluster/Beowulf - Basics

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 6 12:17:59 PST 2012

On Nov 6, 2012, at 5:44 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> Dragging this back to something actually image processing related...
>
> What free (as in beer) software is available these days for doing
> rendering and modeling on a cluster.  I've been using POVray for a
> decade,
> and I'm happy with it (as far as a modeling language goes), because
> what I
> want to model is well handled by it (typically, geometries that I have
> generated by an algorithm, so it's easy to spit out the POVray
> primitives
> as I generate the geometry in Matlab).
>
> And secondly, what's out there to do image compositing/panorama
> building.

You know this is very simple to produce.

The real difficulty to get right is human beings.

For several reasons. One of them is scripting the other real big easy
to imagine problem
is that we are so used to deal with humans that we know exactly how
they look like.

This where a full blown battlefield with tanks and other moving
objects is pretty easy to do - as very few persons alive
have been in a real battlefield - majority doesn't know what it looks
like anyway - so if you do something total wrong there
that's ok.

For future wars - no one knows how robots by then will look like - so
that's easy to model as well.

Real difficult is scenes with lots of humans in the background, some
of which you see in full detail,
the human eye - even in a flash of a second - directly recognizes
what he/she sees.

This is however very difficult graphics to get on your computer.