[Beowulf] Supercomputers - iPad versus Cray

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Thu Mar 8 12:24:52 PST 2012

On 03/08/2012 02:01 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
> [...]

I fully agree that iPads and similar tablet devices fill a much-needed
gap between tiny-screened and underpowered phones and full-blown
computers.  However, I certainly didn't intend to, nor did I get from
other peoples posts, to argue about the iPads worth for the purpose it
was created.  I argued this is a foolish, sensationalist use of it for a
cluster.  Whether or not an iPad is a good tablet I take no position on,
having never owned one myself nor shopped around for them.

Regarding power/computation, I think it's a silly metric to consider for
this usage (probably just plugged into the wall).  If we're concerned
about the cost to power a cluster when all nodes are on, that's a fair
concern, but it has to scale first.  These machines won't allow for
scaling with their included hardware, so that's not a reasonable
consideration.  If instead we want to have a cluster that is low power
because we'll be running off battery for some duration, then it's
foolish to use these since they rely on wifi or 3g to communicate, not
to mention having a touchscreen, accelerometer and all kinds of other
gadgets that eat battery-life.

In short, I think the power/computation argument is totally contrived to
give a scientific spin to an otherwise sensationalist "research"
directive.  In fact, I'd faster support a cluster of furbies because
it's overtly absurd and frankly, funnier, than a cluster of iPads.  This
has the dangerous potential to being taken seriously (i.e. calling it
"research" and aligning it with the directives of a big university such
as Tennessee).  If he just came out and said, "this is ridiculous, but
we're bored and have some funding to burn" then I'd be on-board ;D.  I'm
sure Engadget or someone similar would love an article like that, not to
mention Apple.

Last, regarding educational purposes for mesh network routing, there are
plenty of systems that are cheap as dirt that would be better for this
kind of stuff, such as the ones we've been discussing on the list
recently, that are far cheaper.

Best,

ellis