[Beowulf] Supercomputers - iPad versus Cray

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Thu Mar 8 10:42:57 PST 2012

On 03/08/2012 01:30 PM, Mark Hahn wrote:
> including how you could possibly
> spend $10k on a dual-socket box

Yea, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on that one and just
hoping he bought the parts some years back, or has crazy expensive water
cooling, but in essence yes the 120 number for flops is embarrassing
given how much he paid.  Also, his wife having bought that computer for
1700 is equally brow-raising.  My desktop directly compares to that
desktop machine but was bought for $800 in early 2009...  It seems given
his inclination to overpay for things and the interest in using iPads
for clustering, he has too much money on his hands :).

The article with Dongarra is particularly weird however, as that is a
guy who /does/ know a lot about computing.  Perhaps it was just a
sensationalist spin for the NYT since so many now have iPads at home so
the average iJoe will connect with the article (read: Oh I have a dated
supercomputer in my hands!).  Either way, it still surprised me as the
article should have just ended before the laughable suggestion that we
tether these chic monitors with a brain together.  That was a little
disturbing coming from him.

Best,

ellis