[Beowulf] Course: Parallel Programming of High Performance Systems

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 11 08:09:00 PST 2012

I don't have grey hair (part grey beard, I confess), but I have plenty of
70s era FORTRAN that benefits from parallelization.
Numerical Electromagnetics Code V4, specifically.

The implementation has been throughly validated and have been used for
decades, finding all the little idiosyncracies and dealing with numerical
precision issues, etc.  There's extensive software around that generates
the card image input files it expects and parses the line printer output
files (with the 1 in column 1 for a page break).

Rewriting it from scratch would not be a very good use of time. You'd have
to revisit all the years of validation, make sure there were subtle
differences in function, because while there's an official validation
suite, it's more to make sure that the compile worked ok and there's not
an egregious problem. And who knows what users out there have depended on
some idiosyncratic implementation aspects.

I suspect the same is true for lots of fluid mechanics and other FEM codes
(NASTRAN, for instance).

So an incremental approach of parallelizing that old FORTRAN, replacing
pieces with "new FORTRAN", for instance, might be useful.

(and don't get me started on my experiences with the f2c engine)