[Beowulf] Engineers boost AMD CPU performance by 20% without overclocking

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:57:59 PST 2012

The paper is now available online, "CPU-Assisted GPGPU on Fused
CPU-GPU Architectures":

http://people.engr.ncsu.edu/hzhou/hpca_12_final.pdf

(I have not read the whole paper yet) I think the core idea is that
the CPU acts as a prefetch thread and pulls data into the shared L3
for the GPU cores (this work is like other prefetch thread research
projects that use the otherwise spare SMT threads to do prefetching
for the main compute thread), and as the GPU cores get more cache
hits, the performance is better (hence the 20% mentioned in the
extremetech article).

Rayson

Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/