[Beowulf] Pricing and Trading Networks: Down is Up, Left is Right

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Sat Feb 18 08:12:15 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 09:23:59AM +0100, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2012, at 12:39 AM, Joachim Worringen wrote:

>> - Execution speed is important, but it's not everything. Only the
>> simplest strategies purely rely on speed for success.
>
> Which is 90% of all strategies of all traders.

And you know that how, Vincent?

You've worked in the financial trading world so long and have talked
with so many different (successful) traders, that a guess based on
your own experience might well be reasonable?  Oh wait, you've never
done anything remotely like that.

The only plausible way you could know that is if you've been reading
lots of comprehensive academic and/or industry surveys (if they exist)
of traders.  Sounds interesting.  So how about you point us to the
best summary of all that data on what sort of strategies traders say
they use?  I'm sure there must be one, because you wouldn't just be
making wild assertions unsupported by any evidence whatsoever, right?

Joachim, thanks for chiming in with observations based on your
real-world experience.  It's nice to see some piece of Vincent's rants
occasionally inspire worthwhile content.  Jim Lux, you too, even more
so; I've learned interesting tidbits about FPGAs, etc. from your
recent posts.

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>