[Beowulf] Intel 82574L problems with newer kernels?

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 02:08:15 PST 2012

Hi all,

I got a cluster with Supermicro X8DTT-H motherboards which have the Intel
Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection, running Debian Linux (Squeeze)
kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64 on it.

The only time I had problems with the network card was when it stopped working
altogether. Upgrading the BIOS to the latest available for that motherboard
has cured that problem. I am not using any Intel drivers here but the native
drivers for the card (i.e. the ones in the kernel).

I agree with the upgrade to the latest kernels to get the most out of the
Sandybridges and as I have 2 of these boxes to be installed I am a bit curious
about the problem you have as well.

Have you tried upgrading the BIOS, if possible? Does that solve the problem?

The sourceforge link Alex posted seems to go in the same direction, a change
of the card's firmware.

On a different note: do you build your own kernel or do you use the
distribution provided one?

All the best from a sunny but frosty London

Jörg