[Beowulf] A 10, 000-node Grid Engine Cluster in Amazon EC2 (was: Weekend Cloud Reading)

Chi Chan chichan2008 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 09:53:27 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Rayson Ho <raysonlogin at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) We ran a 10,000-node cluster on Amazon EC2 for Grid Engine
> scalability testing a few weeks ago:
>
> http://blogs.scalablelogic.com/2012/11/running-10000-node-grid-engine-cluster.html

I saw some other large clusters, and most used larger number of cores
and few nodes.

For example, Numerate’s Drug Design Platform Scales to 10,000+ Cores
Using Spot Instances:

http://numerate.com/blog/?p=155

> 2) Douglas - we also work with Gompute, and if you are interested in
> updating the article, I can hook you up with the Gompute guys.
>
> A few other additions to the article: Gompute offers a parallel
> filesystem (GPFS), and supports Windows (most HPC as a service vendors
> mainly support Linux). Also, Gompute uses the pay per use model for
> some of the commercial software. They also have the visualization
> infrastructure, and offers the Gompute software stack - but I have not
> used those 2 before...

And I think they are also using bare-metal instead of VM, so it can
benefit a few types of parallel apps that require low latency.

--Chi