[Beowulf] liquid cooling for HPC

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 5 05:43:45 PST 2012

Hi John,

I got a cluster room which has heatspots of 30 C (as the AC company installed
the AC simply wrong here).

I need to put in more stuff in that room as that is the only floor space left
here. Fortunately, we got a chilled water system so that would take care of
the removal of the excess heat. However, we also got a very cold staircase
close by and I would like to see the heat dissipating there. At least in the
winter time it does make more sense to heat up the staircase in a Chemistry
building instead of a inner court yard.

Regards

Jörg

On Wednesday 05 December 2012 12:47:11 you wrote:
> We use racks with water cooled doors.
>
> The new SGI ICE X clusters have cold plates between pairs of nodes, so use
> the sort of direct water cooling you are talking about.
>
> It  depends what you want to achieve - what sort of space you want to put
> the system into, And do you have a good supply of chilled water?
>
> The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of
> the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not
> copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return
> it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.

Jörg Saßmannshausen
University College London
Department of Chemistry
Gordon Street