[Beowulf] RFC: Restrict posting to subscribers only ?

Bogdan Costescu bcostescu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 05:03:40 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:06 AM, Christopher Samuel
<samuel at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> I'd like to solicit opinions from list members on changing the policy
> of the list on messages from non-subscribers from the current default
> of holding them for moderation to the position of rejecting them (with
> an explanatory message).

Does someone have a figure of how many non-subscribers posts we are
talking about ? I have the impression that lately I've seen only
messages coming from "regulars". If non-subscribers post very little,
then such a change would not be very annoying IMHO.

OTOH, I hope that archives (wherever they are) remain publicly available.

> The reason is that currently us new list admins get many dozens of
> spams a day being held for moderation

We should be very thankful to Don Becker for doing a wonderful job
with the list for many years :)

Cheers,
Bogdan