[Beowulf] Users abusing screen

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Sat Oct 22 10:24:02 PDT 2011

On 10/22/11 05:02, Ellis H. Wilson III wrote:

> Insane?  I mean, I do a lot of work on a bunch of different distros and
> hardware types, and have found little use for screen /unless/ I was on a
> really, really poor internet connection that cut out on the minutes
> level.  Can you give some examples regarding something you can do with
> screen you cannot do with nohup and tail?

Here's a few I can think of:

* Multiple shells off one login
* Scroll buffer
* Copy&paste w/o needing a mouse
* Start session logging at any time, w/o needing to remember to use
script or nohup

I guess I'm with Andrew, where the first thing I do upon logging in is
either connecting to an existing screen session or starting a fresh one.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/