[Beowulf] 10GbE topologies for small-ish clusters?

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Wed Oct 12 08:28:28 PDT 2011

First time I'm seriously pondering bringing 10GbE straight to compute
nodes ...

For 64 servers (32 to a cabinet) and an HPC system that spans two racks
what would be the common 10 Gig networking topology be today?

- One large core switch?
- 48 port top-of-rack switches with trunking?
- Something else?

I was going to suggest two Gnodal rack top switches, linked by a 40Gbps link

http://www.gnodal.com/

I see though that their GS7200 switch has 72 x 10Gbps ports - should do you just fine!

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.