[Beowulf] $1, 279-per-hour, 30, 000-core cluster built on Amazon EC2 cloud

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 4 13:48:00 PDT 2011

The reason it wasn't encrypted is almost certainly not because it was difficult to do so for technology reasons. When you see a story about "data being lost or stolen from a car" it's because it was an ad hoc situation. Someone got a copy of the data to do some sort of analysis or to take it somewhere on a onetime basis, and "things went wrong".

Any sort of regular process would normally deal with encryption or security as a matter of course: it's too easy to do it right.