[Beowulf] IPv6 and clusters?

Jesse Becker beckerjes at mail.nih.gov
Thu Jun 9 07:44:22 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:17:47AM -0400, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>On 06/09/2011 09:32 AM, Stuart Barkley wrote:
>> Yesterday was IPv6 day.
>>
>> Does IPv6 have any major place in clusters?  Has anyone ever tried an
>> IPv6 only cluster?
>>
>> My thought is that IPv4 is fine for internal cluster networks using
>> rfc1918 networks.  I expect the multihomed login/management nodes will
>> eventually need IPv6 on the outside interfaces.
>>

>The flip-side is that cluster networks are the perfect place for testing
>and getting familiar with IPv6 since they are almost always private
>networks that are completely isolated from the rest of your network,
>except for the master node. I wonder if there are any performance
>penalties for IPv6 compared to IPv4.

Cisco seems to imply as much.  I just recently saw one of their spec
sheets for the 4900M cards[1] that shows "250 mpps for IPv4, 125 mpps
for IPv6".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6021/ps9310/Data_Sheet_Cat_4900M.html

--
Jesse Becker
NHGRI Linux support (Digicon Contractor)