[Beowulf] New Iranian clusters - GPU based ?

Chris Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Feb 25 16:11:11 PST 2011

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 06:17:15 AM Peter Kjellström wrote:

> If the 32 1U boxes (also seen) are GPU boxes and the
> 89TF is total sum then  (assuming dual socket magnycour)
> even the FLOPs seem plausible.

I've done a guesstimate on what the system is likely to be
like on my personal blog here:

http://www.csamuel.org/2011/02/25/irans-new-gpu-powered-supercomputers

The 1U nodes are almost certainly the Supermicro 1U GPU
boxes (though of course there's no way of knowing if the
GPUs are still in them, much less whether they are M1060's
or M2070's).

In summary I'm guessing they've quoted Rpeak and not Rmax. ;-)

cheers,
Chris
--
Christopher Samuel          Senior Systems Administrator
          http://www.vlsci.unimelb.edu.au/