[Beowulf] thunderbolt?

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Fri Feb 25 07:17:21 PST 2011

> I guess I'm lost on why this would be really useful, especially from a
> beowulfery perspective.  It's not like any sane Beowulfer would pay a
> premium for Macs just to have this interconnect when they could just
> get
> some old IB hardware.

Well, Beowulfery should be following off-the-shelf components.
Remember that Infiniband started life as a general interconnect, for
attaching devices outwith the chassis, in a converged network style. It
only found its niche in HPC as a 'by-product' when HPC types hunting for
the most blazingly fast interconnects latched onto it (pun intended).
Remember that Intel dropped Infiniband and there was a bit of a stooshie
in the HPC world at the time.
Thank goodness other manufacturers kept running with it.

As other people have said, even if this bus does not have a central
switch if you could (say) rack four boxes together and connect them in a
mesh,
and run RDMA over it you could achieve an single process space machine
for not much money.

stooshie - a fuss, a fracas

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.