[Beowulf] EMACS vs VI

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at runnersroll.com
Thu Feb 17 14:27:17 PST 2011

On 02/17/11 14:52, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> Now, after mutilating THAT metaphor, back to work...;-)

I've been waiting on the absurd metaphors to come out ;).  I think my
favorite of all time (granted it's not really a metaphor, but
nonetheless) is something about sacrificing a goat over the computer to
get vi to work.  I'll have to go through the archives at some point to
find that little gem.

I have to say however I am certainly in support of vi(m), and it's not
for historical reasons - I think I might have just barely nicked the 90s
for seeing a command line for the first time as we didn't have a
computer in my house growing up until 95.  When I started running a Real
Operating System (tm) in 2003/2004 I bounced around a bit but ultimately
settled with vim.  I did destroy a series of important documents on my
way to understanding it and subsequently realizing there was a tutorial
built into the program.  Speaking of undo, that was one "feature" I only
stumbled on some 2 or 3 years after beginning with vim, :).

Anyhow, what this thread originally should have linked to is:
"9 traits of the annual Beowulf List editor wars"
Now that would be an interesting read!

ellis