[Beowulf] IBM's Watson on Jeopardy tonight

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 16 07:20:42 PST 2011

Aside from how brains are "programmed" (a fascinating question)

One big difference between biological systems and non-bio is the handling of errors and faults.  Biological systems tend to assume that (many) failures occur and use a strategy of massive redundancy with fuzzy collective action.  To date, there's been very little work on large scale computing systems that are more than just fault tolerant.  Partly it's the fact that the problem is difficult.  partly it's a market driven thing: the people who want to anticipate and deal with faults tend to want "provably failure tolerant" so that drives things like error correcting codes, Triple Modular Redundancy (TMR) and a whole host of schemes for failover, hot standby, etc.

Our friends at google are probably one of the best examples of a large computing environment which is very aware of "good enough" and which has enough scale to know that at any given time, some fraction of their computers are dead/wrong/faulted.

But even there, the redundancy is at a pretty high level, compared to the very fine grained redundancy in any biological system.

Even very simple biological systems with very simple individual cellular algorithms/control rules display emergent behavior which is quite complex.  Consider the recent article about the annual plague of Portuguese Man o'Wars in Florida.  (A floating colony of different animals, resembling a jellyfish, but actually not one organism)