[Beowulf] IBM's Watson on Jeopardy tonight

ariel sabiguero yawelak asabigue at fing.edu.uy
Wed Feb 16 06:52:01 PST 2011

I believe that it is because, on the one hand, we don't accept fuzzy
results, and on the other hand, we don't know how to train the millions
of ANNs required to mimic a mammal's brain.
The way in which biology deals with failures, faults and defects is far
beyond our full comprehension. How to program a brain? and similar
questions are beyond our grasp too, yet, we re-program ourselves day
after day intuitively.

In some way, the speed at which multicores are evolving (more and
simpler cores instead of a single, yet powerful one) indicates that
parallel processing is the way to go -I think I read it somewhere in
this list-. Maybe the answer that the evolution found for carbon-based
processing is different than the one for future silicon-based life forms
(or at least, intelligent processing). A dead company used to say "the
computer is the network", and for our brains it seems so. Will it be
true for really-massive processors? Will they shrink until they only sum
and bias inputs without any programing inside? Will we discuss
multi-million-core-SMP? If so, I doubt that it will be single-bus-based
solution.

I'm not sure I'll live until we find an answer, but is a nice long term
research topic....

ariel