[Beowulf] Advice on 4 CPU node configurations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Feb 9 04:21:11 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 07:06:14PM -0500, Gus Correa wrote:

> how much cabling does it take to wire a 2D or 3D doughnut/torus
> on the back of racks of servers with these Numascale cards,

A cubic carbon (diamond) lattice would use 4 links
for a 3d lattice, but for cubic primitive you'd go
4 links for 2d and 6 links for 3d.

Cables can be short within a rack if your grid is
wrapped around. Of course if you start to interconnect
nodes in adjacent racks with short cables for 3d, the
result would drive a spider green with envy. So
below the floor they would go, and pretty thick cable
bundles they're going to be, even if they're plain CAT 5e.