[Beowulf] Westmere EX

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Apr 8 05:45:08 PDT 2011

>> notice it says 32GB max memory size.  even if that means 32GB/socket,
>> it's not all that much.
>
> It's actually 32GB per DIMM, so up to 512GB per socket.

right - I eventually found the non-marketing docs.  each socket
has two memory controllers, each of which supports 2 "intel scalable memory"
channels, which support an intel scalable memory buffer, which supports
4 dimms.   (the ISMB actually referred to as "advanced memory buffer"
in one place, like from fbdimm days...)

it also has double-bit correction, triple bit detection on the last-level
cache.  definitely not designed for cheap or even compact systems...

-mark