[Beowulf] Westmere EX

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Thu Apr 7 10:26:51 PDT 2011

On Thursday, April 07, 2011 02:39:19 am Mark Hahn wrote:
> I bet there will be 100x more 4s servers build with these chips than 8s.
> and 1000x more 2s than 4s...

Sounds about right :-) Not your average compute node by a long shot.

> a friend noticed something weird on intel's spec sheets:
> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=53580&processor=E7-8870&spec-codes=SLC
> 3E
>
> notice it says 32GB max memory size.  even if that means 32GB/socket,
> it's not all that much.

Certainly looks odd on that page but does likely refer to max DIMM size. With
64 DIMMs (4 socket example) that would then give you 2T.

> I don't know about everyone else, but I'm already bored with core counts ;)
> these also seem fairly warm (130W), considering that they're the fancy
> new 32nm process and run at modest clock rates...

It's the size of the beast... (caused by the number of cores and size of last
level cache).

/Peter