[Beowulf] Westmere EX

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Wed Apr 6 17:39:19 PDT 2011

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/05/intel_xeon_e7_launch/
>
> 10 core Westmere EX on an eight socket box = 80 cores
> These would be a very nice machine.

shrug.  does anyone have serious experience with real apps on manycore
machines?  (I'm familiar with SGI boxes, where 80 is fairly ho-hum,
but they're substantially more exotic/rare/expensive.)

I bet there will be 100x more 4s servers build with these chips than 8s.
and 1000x more 2s than 4s...

a friend noticed something weird on intel's spec sheets:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=53580&processor=E7-8870&spec-codes=SLC3E

notice it says 32GB max memory size.  even if that means 32GB/socket,
it's not all that much.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm already bored with core counts ;)
these also seem fairly warm (130W), considering that they're the fancy
new 32nm process and run at modest clock rates...