[Beowulf] Quadrics?

Beat Rubischon beat at 0x1b.ch
Mon Apr 4 22:52:41 PDT 2011

Hi Vincent!

On 04.04.11 21:16, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> latency is superior of quadrics compared to all the infini* stuff.

Quadrics was great stuff - but it was outperformed once Mellanox invited
their ConnectX chips. Additional the Quadrics team never got their PCIe
chips (QSnet III) to fly. Finally the company closed their doors in may 09.

I really liked their hard- and software. But the time is over...

> Of course even the realtime linux kernel is rather crappy there, as
> it locks every action from and to a socket (even RAW/UDP
> communication in fact), so you need a 'hack' of that kernel anyway to
> get faster latencies.

When talking about Interconnects the kernel is not involved in
communication. Any context switch is avoided to keep the overhead small.
This basically means a real time kernel isn't needed as it would not
give you any additional benefit.

Beat

--
     \|/                           Beat Rubischon <beat at 0x1b.ch>