[Beowulf] GP-GPU experience

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Fri Apr 1 07:47:28 PDT 2011

On 03/30/2011 06:42 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 03/21/2011 06:51 AM, Douglas Eadline wrote:
>> I got to thinking about how others are fairing (or not)
>> with GP-GPU technology. I put up a simple poll on
>> ClusterMonkey to help get a general idea.
>> (you can find it on the front page right top)
>> If you have a moment, please provide
>> your experience (results are available as well).
>
> We've seen some reasonable speedup (12x) with some matlab code using Jacket.
> It required up-to-the-minute bugfixes/enhancements from Accelereyes to get it
> working though.  Ran into lots of limitations with some other code (sparse
> matrices) that prevented it from being usable.  Have some reports of success
> with gpulib and IDL.

I've installed 4 GPU-equipped servers in my environment; 2 are a part of
my cluster, and 2 are independent from the cluster so that users can
login interactively and program/debug/tinker/whatever. (My cluster
doesn't allow interactive logins by design).

A handful of users were interested in getting access to the GPUs, but so
far, not a single one has even logged into these systems to kick the
tires yet, and the systems have been online for approx. 9 months. It
just be that they're busy with other work. Most of my users are
post-docs who guide their own research, so they can create/modify their
own project schedules as they see fit.

--
Prentice