[Beowulf] Re: Bugfix for Broadcom NICs losing connectivity

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Tue May 25 12:40:56 PDT 2010

> In case it helps anyone using Dell R410 / 610 / 710 etc. servers: I have had
> machines lose their eth connections periodically (CentOS 5.4 bnx2 driver).
> Seems like a bug with the Broadcom NIC drivers. [luckily read of it on a
> Dell mailing list]
>
> Bug Reports:
>
> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-26837
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/51106
>
> Not sure yet if this is exactly my issue but I'm giving it a shot now.
> Thought I'd post since, anecdotally I've seen many people use these servers
> on the list.
>
> --
> Rahul

I've been following this on the Dell list as I have approx. 50 R410s
in our cluster.

One thing that isn't clear--  When this happens, do you lose all
connectivity to the node (i.e., do you have to reboot the node to
re-establish eth0)?

My R410s are running CentOS 5.2 - 5.4 and I rarely have one go
down.

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea
 Mayo Clinic - Research Computing Facility