[Beowulf] Turboboost/IDA on Nehalem

James Braid jamesb at loreland.org
Mon Jun 21 02:37:43 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 16:24, Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Douglas Guptill <douglas.guptill at dal.ca> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:30:12PM +0100, Hearns, John wrote:
>>> Does anyone know much about Turboboost on Nehalem?
>>> I would like to have some indication that this is working, and perhaps
>>> measure what effect it has.
>>> I have enabled Turboboost in the BIOS, however when I modprobe
>>> acpi_cpufreq I get
>
> What's a good way to confirm if  my procs are actually in a turbo
> state at a given point of time. It doesn't get reported back through
> the usual BIOS channels does it?

turbostat from pmtools is a great little tool for seeing this type of info.

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/utils/

FWIW acpi_cpufreq doesn't load on any of our Nehalem based systems
(HP, Dell, running on Fedora 12) - but turbo boost and all the other
power efficiency features work fine as far as I can tell.