[Beowulf] OT: recoverable optical media archive format?

lsi stuart at cyberdelix.net
Wed Jun 9 07:17:01 PDT 2010

The ECC approach is nice.  My current solution is to burn two copies
of each archive DVD.  If the media deteriorates and there are
unreadable sectors, I use the second copy of the DVD to replace the
dead sectors.

This is done using software which has a Bad Sector Mapping function,
and a Patch File function.  I have used Media Doctor to do this job.
I wrote it up here:

http://www.cyberdelix.net/tech/recover_cd_dvd.htm

This said, I want to dump DVD as an archive format (I find that only
certain drives will read certain DVDs, total PITA), I'm considering
using HDDs, possibly 2.5" in a RAID configuration, in a NAS which is
only fired up when needed.  I suspect nowadays, 2.5" drives are more
space-efficient, although I haven't done the sums.

Stu

On 8 Jun 2010 at 10:44, David Mathog wrote:

> This is off topic so I will try to keep it short:  is there an
> "archival" format for large binary files which contains enough error
> correction to that all original data may be recovered even if there is a
> little data loss in the storage media?

---
Stuart Udall
stuart at at cyberdelix.dot net - http://www.cyberdelix.net/

---
 * Origin: lsi: revolution through evolution (192:168/0.2)