[Beowulf] 6 TFlops, 450 MFlops/W watercooled IBM @ ETH

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Sun Jul 4 09:30:57 PDT 2010

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> http://www.physorg.com/news197295578.html
>
> IBM Hot Water-Cooled Supercomputer Goes Live at ETH Zurich
>
> July 2, 2010
>
> (PhysOrg.com) -- IBM has delivered a first-of-a-kind hot water-cooled
> supercomputer to the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH
> Zurich), marking a new era in energy-aware computing.  The innovative system,
> dubbed Aquasar, consumes up to 40 percent less energy than a comparable
> air-cooled machine. Through the direct use of waste heat to provide warmth to
> university buildings
Others have already made the joke that Fermi could double as a space
heater, but I wonder if that could end up being reality..  It's also not
really breaking news that a water cooled system is more efficient than
air, but how real world tested is this?  From the pictures on the
youtube video [1] I wonder how this could be adapted to the current
trend moving away from cell and towards gpus..  (The conduit looked
pretty well mounted to processors which would be much harder to do with
a vertical PCIe card...  Not to mention leaks..)

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbGyAXsLzIc