[Beowulf] clustering using xen virtualized machines

Gavin Burris bug at sas.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 27 07:18:49 PST 2010

The cost for virtualization is in buying really big hardware, oodles of
memory and many many cores, that are capable of running multiple VMs,
and having that hardware configured for redundancy, high availability
and failover.

With an HPC cluster, you are typically buying hardware that is as
stripped down and cheap as you can get it.  You focus your HPC budget on
the sweet-spot processor, the amount of memory, maybe GPUs, maybe
interconnect, so you can deploy as many compute server nodes as you can
afford.

I don't buy the argument that the winning case is packaging up a VM with
all your software.  If you really are unable to build the required
software stack for a given cluster and its OS, I think using something
like xCAT to provision stateless compute servers per job is a better
option than virtualization.

And if you are packaging VMs to blast out to the cloud, I think you will
be paying through the nose.  This is not a viable option unless there is
a major pricing shift.

Cheers.