[Beowulf] Spanning Tree Protocol and latency: allowing loops in switching networks for minimizing switch hops

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 12:10:10 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> wrote:

> It's my firm opinion that loops and STP are evil for HPC installations.
> Period.

Thanks Gerry! This seems like one of the rare HPC-topics where such a
clear answer is present! :) "It depends" is more usual for me to hear.
I bet you have excellent reasons for hating STP so much, but can I
know why? Just curious. Bad implementations, performance hits? Pardon
my ignorance, if I am asking something that's plain obviously "evil".

--
Rahul