[Beowulf] Any recommendations for a good JBOD?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 11:00:51 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Gerald Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> wrote:
> For what you're describing, I'd consider CoRAID's AoE technology and system,
> and use their RAID6 capability. Otherwise, get yourself a box with up to 8
> slots, preferably with hot-swap capability, and forge ahead.

Thanks Gerry!  That one looks promising.

One thing that always confuses me:

Let's say I do software RAID. So just buy a JBOD device. It still has
some "controller" on it, correct? Is the quality of this controller
very critical or not so much? And if a unit advertises itself as
Hardware RAID can I still use it as JBOD mode? There seems more hits
for "RAID" out there than for "JBOD". Maybe I am looking up the wrong
keyword.

--
Rahul