[Beowulf] which 24 port unmanaged GigE switch?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Apr 5 06:49:08 PDT 2010

Michael Di Domenico wrote:
> I would have to agree.  I have Netgears in my lab now and for light
> use they seem to be okay, but once you run a communications heavy MPI
> job over them they seem to fall down

I seem to remember that the Dell switches are rebadged SMC or Netgear
units.  They are great for office level work, not sure how they are for
heavy MPI work, though I have heard not such great things.

(note:  we aren't paid agents of HP, or resellers of them, etc ...  the
switches are just good in clusters).

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Joe Landman
> <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
>> David Mathog wrote:
>>> Which of these would be good for a cluster?  Reliability is more
>>> important here than speed, not that I'm looking for slow.  It should not
>>> burn up if the jobs move data through all ports near full capacity for
>>> hours or days at a time!
>>>
>>> NETGEAR JGS524 D-Link DGS-1024D SMC EZ Switch SMCGS24 HP J9078A
>>>
>>> The D-link and Netgear are within $10 of each other after the rebate on
>>> the latter, both are about $60 less than the SMC and HP.
>> I am biased.  Get the HP.
>>
>> --
>> Joseph Landman, Ph.D
>> Founder and CEO